2 large carrots, peeled and julienned (for pickled carrots and daikon)
1 large daikon, peeled and julienned (for pickled carrots and daikon)
2 cups white vinegar (for pickled carrots and daikon)
2 cups sugar (for pickled carrots and daikon)
30 ounces ground sirloin
6 potato buns, cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup Sriracha Mayonnaise (see recipe below instructions)
1. To pickle the carrots and daikon, put each of them into two separate bowls. Add the vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 cup water to a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Pour evenly over the carrots and daikon and cool to room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 week if covered. They will become more flavorful over time.
3. To make the patties, roll six 5-ounce sirloin balls and form each ball into a patty. Arrange on a tray, cover, and refrigerate.
4. Toast the buns. Set aside.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough oil to cover the entire bottom. When the oil begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium and place the patties into the skillet.
6. Season the patties with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes. Flip, and cook on the other side 3 minutes more for medium-rare doneness.
7. To assemble the burgers, mix together the basil and cilantro. Place 1 patty on 1 toasted bun bottom. Top the patty with some of each of the pickled carrots, daikon, and the basil-cilantro mix.
8. Spread some of the mayonnaise on the bun top and cover. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Let rest for 2 to 3 minutes and serve.
9. SRIRACHA MAYONNAISE: Add 2 cups mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sriracha hot sauce and 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk to a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.