BLOODY MARY BURGERS WITH HORSERADISH DRESSING
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 bunch parsley, washed well
4 to 8 dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce, to taste
1/2 teaspoon Worcerstershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 to 1 1/4-inch piece horseradish root, freshly grated
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons creme fraiche
3 pounds ground round
4 good bread buns, ciabatta rolls, or thick slices of baguette
A few romaine lettuce leaves
A few tomatos, sliced
A little canola or olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the tomato paste, horseradish, celery seeds, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and a generous grinding of black pepper. Add the beef and mix well with your hands, making sure the seasonings are spread through.
2. Meanwhile, make the horseradish dressing: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Break off a small piece of the beef mixture, the size of a walnut, and fry in a little oil until well cooked.
3. Shape the meat into 4 patties about 3/4 inch thick. Lightly brush each one with oil, then place on a grill over high heat.
4. For a medium-rare burger, grill for 3 to 4 minutes, then flip to cook the other side. Let the burgers rest.
5. To serve, toast the buns or other bread lightly on the cut side, then top with the lettuce leaves and tomato slices. Add the burgers and smear with horseradish sauce, and a dollop of ketchup if you like. Top with the other half of the bread.
6. Good with French fries, obviously, but if they’re too much effort, really good potato chips will do.