450 g lean ground beef
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
796 mL can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp hot-red-pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 cup beef broth, preferably low-sodium
1 cup fine cornmeal
2 cups grated cheddar
1. Position oven rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler. Lightly spray an 8×8 inch square baking dish.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add beef. Using a fork to break up meat, cook until no pink remains, about 2 min. Add onion, garlic and seasoning. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min.
3. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 min.
4. Broil until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Let stand 5 min before serving.
5. Boil milk and broth in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in cornmeal until thickened but still loose, about 1 min. Pour half of polenta into prepared dish and spread to cover bottom. Top with half of meat mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheese.
6. Repeat with remaining polenta, meat and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Let stand 5 min before serving.