MOZZARELLA-STUFFED TURKEY BURGERS
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves garlic, minced)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups chopped plum tomatoes, with juices
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
4 4-inch-square slices foccacia bread, toasted
1. To prepare marinara: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Stir in fresh tomatoes and any juices, sun-dried tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in basil and remove from the heat.
3. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to form a coarse-textured sauce. Return to the pan and set aside.
4. To prepare burgers: Place turkey, scallions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Gently combine until evenly incorporated. Form into 8 thin patties about 4 inches wide 3/4 thick.
5. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and basil and place an equal amount in the center of 4 patties. Cover with the remaining patties and crimp the edges closed.
6. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (see Grilling Variation). Add burgers and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, 8 to 10 min.
7. Warm the marinara on the stove. To assemble the burgers, spread 3 tablespoons of marinara on each toasted focaccia, top with a burger, about 3 more tablespoons of marinara and 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese.