Recipe from The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009 by Gourmet Magazine/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2010.
- To hand-cook eggs, put them in a saucepan with cold water to cover, partially cover pan, and bring the water to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook the eggs for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and let stand in the water, covered, for 15 minutes, then run under cold water for about 5 minutes.
- The butter should be softened before beating (creaming).
- Use grated lemon zest (without any of the bitter white pith).
- Roll out the dough to a 1⁄16-inch thickness.
- Instead of flouring the sheets, line them with parchment paper.