2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds
1 cup whole milk
1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart soufflé dish or baking dish and set it aside.
2. Put the carrots into a large pot and cover with about an inch of salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat, and simmer the carrots for about 10 minutes, until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
3. Strain the carrots, puree in a food processor, and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the milk, cracker crumbs, cheese, onion, butter, salt, cayenne, and black pepper.
4. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer or wire whisk to beat the eggs until they are foamy, and then whisk them into the carrot mixture.
5. Transfer the carrot mixture into the prepared soufflé dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until puffed and light golden brown on top. Serve warm.